1. What is the name of the quadrangle?
This quadrangle is called the BEVERLY HILLS QUADRANGLE, CALIFORNIA-LOS ANGELES CO. 7.5 MINUTE SERIES (TOPOGRAPHIC)
2. What are the names of the adjacent quadrangles?
The names of the adjacent quadrangles are Canoga Park, Van Nuys, Burbank, Topanga, Hollywood, Venice, and Inglewood.
3. When was the quadrangle first created?
This quadrangle was compiled in 1966, the imagery in 1978, and inspected in 1995.
4. What datum was used to create your map?
The National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1929 was used to create this map. There are also datum from the North American Datum of 1927 and 1983.
5. What is the scale of the map?
The Scale of this map is 1:24,000
6. At the above scale, answer the following:
a) 5 centimeters on the map is equivalent to how many meters on the ground?
[(5centimeters on map)x(24000centimeters on ground)]/[100meters on ground] = 1200 meters on ground
b) 5 inches on the map is equivalent to how many miles on the ground?
[(5 inches on the map)x(24000 inches on the ground)]/[(12 inches per foot) (5280 feet in a mile)] = 1.8939 miles
c) one mile on the ground is equivalent to how many inches on the map?
[1 mile on the ground]/[(24000 miles on map)(5280 feet per mile)(2.54 inches per foot)] = 3.319 x 10^8
d) three kilometers on the ground is equivalent to how many centimeters on the map?
[(3km on the ground)/(3x24000 km on the map)(1000 meters in a km)(100 cm in 1 meter)] = 4.166 x 10^-10 centimeters on the map
7. What is the contour interval on your map?
The contour interval of this map is 20 feet.
8. What are the approximate geographic coordinates in both degrees/minutes/seconds and decimal degrees of:
a) the Public Affairs Building;
b) the tip of Santa Monica pier;
[34° 0' 26.7978", -118° 29' 59.6394"] or [34.007
c) the Upper Franklin Canyon Reservoir;
[34° 7' 12.5538", -118° 24' 37.08"] or [34.120
9. What is the approximate elevation in both feet and meters of:
a) Greystone Mansion (in Greystone Park);
580 feet, 176.78 meters
[34° 5' 31.8156", -118° 24' 5.0394"] or [34.092, -118.401]
b) Woodlawn Cemetery;
140 feet, 42.672 meters
[34° 1' 5.963", -118° 28' 41.959"] or [34.018°, -118.478°]
c) Crestwood Hills Park;
690 feet, 210.312 meters
[34° 4' 38.5644", -118° 29' 17.34"] or [34.077°, -118.488°]
10. What is the UTM zone of the map?
The UTM zone of the map is Zone 11.
11. What are the UTM coordinates for the lower left corner of your map?
3763000N and 3615000E
12. How many square meters are contained within each cell (square) of the UTM gridlines?
1,000,000 sq meters
13. Obtain elevation measurements, from west to east along the UTM northing 3771000, where the eastings of the
UTM grid intersect the northing. Create an elevation profile using these measurements in Excel (hint: create a line
chart). Figure out how to label the elevation values to the two measurements on campus. Insert your elevation
Points 5 and 6 represent 500 and 460 respectively (the points that encompass the UCLA campus)
14. What is the magnetic declination of the map?
The magnetic declination of the map is 14 degrees East.
15. In which direction does water flow in the intermittent stream between the 405 freeway and Stone Canyon
The water flows from the north to south in the intermittent stream between the 405 freeway and the Stone Canyon Reservoir.
16. Crop out (i.e., cut and paste) UCLA from the map and include it as a graphic on your blog.